Everybody loves a ooey-gooey-cheesey quesadilla, me included. But for everyday quick and healthy meals, there's nothing like making a protein- and veggie-packed quesadilla that's a sure hit with kids and grownups alike.
My drive-through staple was once an inexpensive but very tasty chicken quesadilla from Taco Bell. On hungry days, I’d been known to eat two!
Then I learned that each consumed two-thirds of a day’s calories – and haven’t been back since.
If you or your children frequent fast food places, check the websites for ideas about dishes suitable for diet and lifestyle – and perhaps, like for me, real shocks about favorites.
CHICKEN VEGGIE QUESADILLAS
Time to table: 35 minutes
Serves 12 from 6 cups filling
CHICKEN VEGGIE STUFFING
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (see ALANNA's TIPS)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 ribs celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach, chopped roughly
- 4 ounces spicy cheese (such as pepper jack)
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 3 teaspoons (or less) vegetable oil
CHICKEN VEGGIE STUFFING Heat a large, deep skillet and add oil. When oil is hot, add onion and celery. Sauté until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic and carrot and sauté another 1 – 2 minutes.
While vegetables are cooking, prep the chicken and place in a large bowl. Add spinach.
Stir in hot vegetables into chicken-spinach mixture (see TIPS). Add cheese and combine well. (If making ahead of time, stop here and refrigerate the chicken mixture.)
MAKE QUESADILLAS Arrange 1 cup filling on half of each tortilla, spreading to the edge. Fold tortilla over filling and flatten firmly with your fingers.
Lightly wipe skillet clean with a paper towel. Heat on medium using 1 teaspoon oil, spread evenly, for every two quesadillas. Two at a time, heat quesadillas through until tortillas are lightly browned but still soft. Halve and serve immediately.
• (6/12) McDonald's okay. Burger King broken & fixed. Taco Bell broken & fixed. Wendy's broken & fixed. Krispy Kreme broken & fixed. Dominos broken & fixed. Pizza Hut okay. Subway broken & fixed.
More Quick & Healthy Sandwich Recipes
Shop Your Pantry First
© Copyright 2005 Kitchen Parade