Everybody loves a ooey-gooey-cheesey quesadilla, me included. But oh my, those calories add up every so quickly. That why, for everyday quick and healthy meals, there's nothing like making a protein- and veggie-packed quesadilla that's a sure hit with kids and grownups alike.
My drive-through staple was once an inexpensive but very tasty chicken quesadilla from Taco Bell. On hungry days, I’d been known to eat two!
Then I learned that each of those Taco Bell chicken quesadillas consumed two-thirds of a day’s calories. And you know what? I haven’t been back since.
If you or your children frequent fast food places, check the websites for ideas about dishes suitable for diet and lifestyle – and perhaps, like for me, real shocks about favorites.
CHICKEN VEGGIE QUESADILLAS
Time to table: 35 minutes
Serves 12 from 6 cups filling
CHICKEN VEGGIE STUFFING
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (see ALANNA's TIPS)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 ribs celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach, chopped roughly
- 4 ounces spicy cheese (such as pepper jack)
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 3 teaspoons (or less) vegetable oil
CHICKEN VEGGIE STUFFING Heat a large, deep skillet and add oil. When oil is hot, add onion and celery. Sauté until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic and carrot and sauté another 1 – 2 minutes.
While vegetables are cooking, prep the chicken and place in a large bowl. Add spinach.
Stir in hot vegetables into chicken-spinach mixture (see TIPS). Add cheese and combine well. (If making ahead of time, stop here and refrigerate the chicken mixture.)
QUESADILLAS Arrange 1 cup filling on half of each tortilla, spreading to the edge. Fold tortilla over filling and flatten firmly with your fingers.
Lightly wipe skillet clean with a paper towel. Heat on medium using 1 teaspoon oil, spread evenly, for every two quesadillas. Two at a time, heat quesadillas through until tortillas are lightly browned but still soft. Halve and serve immediately.
• (6/12) McDonald's okay. Burger King broken & fixed. Taco Bell broken & fixed. Wendy's broken & fixed. Krispy Kreme broken & fixed. Dominos broken & fixed. Pizza Hut okay. Subway broken & fixed.
• (6/15) McDonald's okay. Burger King broken and unfixable since BK no longer provides nutrition info on a single page, only item by item; isn't "that" so easy to make quick comparisons and menu choices? Taco Bell okay. Wendy's URL has changed but there's a convenient redirect, way to go, Wendy's; except wait, there is NO DATA on the redirect page, the hyperlinks don't work. Krispy Kreme link works but no longer contains the promised nutrition information; nutrition info only available product by product, making comparisons nigh-on impossible. Dominos okay. Pizza Hut link broken and fixed. Subway okay.
More Quick & Healthy Sandwich Recipes
Shop Your Pantry First
© Copyright 2005, 2012 & 2015 Kitchen Parade